This funding aims to inspire and support communities across the UK to address the energy and climate crisis. We’re looking for projects that show how communities can address climate change while tackling the energy challenges through community-led climate action.
We want to fund projects that:
- encourage communities to use energy in an environmentally friendly way
- bring communities together so that they can explore ways to promote energy efficiency
- enable communities to understand and engage with opportunities for clean energy generation, which do not use fossil fuels.
All projects should consider how everyone in the community can get involved with climate action. They must also address any reasons why some people might be left out.
We’re looking for projects that will bring a range of benefits to communities, including:
- improving health and well-being
- creating local ’green’ jobs, such as jobs providing low-carbon heat for homes, community energy champions and energy advisors
- reducing carbon emissions
- supporting communities to be more resilient.
We want to fund projects that aim for long-term change. And projects that have the potential to have a positive impact beyond the communities they’re directly working with.
£8.5 million is available for 8 to 12 projects that show how communities can address climate change while tackling the energy challenges through community-led climate action.
We’ll accept applications from either:
- local partnerships
- UK-wide partnerships
- single voluntary or community organisations.
Funding size: Projects can apply for up to £1.5 million over 2 to 5 years, with most projects awarded £1 million. Minimum grant £500,000. We aim to fund around 8-12 projects.
Total available: £8.5 million
Application deadline: You can apply when you’re ready. We expect the programme to remain open until early 2024 but it will depend on when and how many others apply for our funding.